Sunday, August 16, 2015

start of my hobby


"so...what do you do for fun, mai?"
"what are your hobbies?"
"what do you do on the weekends?"

i often get asked questions like these from  all sorts of folks. you name it- friends, coworkers, family, the mailman, the trader joes check out person.....

every friday someone out there in the world always asks me:

"what are you up to this weekend?"

and i hesitate to answer.
i stop, and i secretly want to say:

"...oh you know. i'm going to go bird watching. my women's roller derby team has a match. i go and write shakespeare poetry at the national mall. i like to work out my biceps and bench press 200lbs on the weekends".

really? NOPE.

in reality, it's more like...

"...oh you know. i'm going to eat because it's TGIF. i'm probably going to lie on my couch and surf the net for new recipes and restaurants. i'll walk my dog, but only for a short time cause my dog is lazy and so am i. i'll be doing laundry, avoiding tourists, and will do absolutely nothing this weekend".

the truth is.... i am not an interesting person. can "work" be a hobby? i like to go to work. seriously.

hello. my name is mai. i'm a 29 year old female workaholic.
i don't have interesting and unique hobbies.
i mean, i'm not a wet mop. i enjoy dancing, traveling, writing, and meeting new people.
but... i don't do those things every weekend.

hobby
noun
  1. 1.
    an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
    "her hobbies are reading and gardening"
  2. synonyms: pasttime, leisure activity, leisure pursuit.


i tried running. i hate it. i tried swimming. winter doesn't motivate me. i tried knitting. my fingers are too fat. i tried drawing. i crack myself up.

in a quest to find a cool hobby... i thought about something i like to do regularly.
what do i like to do everyday, all seasons, good mood or bad mood, injured or not?

hmm...
I LIKE TO EAT! i love food. i live to eat, not eat to live. i enjoy a good meal, preferably with good company. food is life.

...so food is my hobby.

what do i want to be when i grow up?
well, my dream job is someday to be a female anthony bourdain and travel the world, eat, and write about it.

achieving your dreams start with taking baby steps, so this is my first crawl.
welcome to "my mai hobby" my lifestyle blog about all things food.

if you don't like food, you are probably on the wrong website and you are probably going to miss out.
but if you love food, i am sure you are a happy person and my blog could be your muse.

welcome to my blog and bon appetit

-mai


No comments:

Post a Comment