Saturday, August 22, 2015

KUDOS to the awesome saturday fairies

the awesome saturday fairies made sure i had an awesome saturday today.
they sprinkled some fairy dust and WALA!

my cold is gone. i beat the germs! YES!
i had a good night sleep and woke up feeling rested. YES!
t comes home on monday. one more day! YES!
the panda at the national zoo gave birth! YES! (...panda births are really rare!!!)

after spending two weeks house-sitting/dog-sitting in clarendon, it was nice to be back home in my apartment. t and i like our little space. my small space is cozy and comforting for me. i think we will never end up in a big house, it just feels weird for us. we passed the litmus test in NYC (we lived in a shoebox apartment in brooklyn and managed to not kill each other!).

when i returned to my apartment, i was greeted with a lovely surprise. i love surprises (..who doesnt?!)
c and j left me a gift. they left a rosie the riveter card filled with a nice message, and a julia childs book! i can't wait to read it! i'm sure it will inspire some future blog entries. tbd.

SURPRISE. love love love.
i found a great find at the farmer's market this morning.

i scored the last of the celosia cristata, more commonly known as cockscomb. treat yo self!!!!
it is a really cool plant. the flowers look like they are made from velvet.
so this morning, before i even knew what this flower was called, mishka took a bite and ran to his "safe place" (aka crate) with a leaf in his mouth.
i tried chasing after him but failed to grab the leaf out of his mouth.

"oh mishka, you think this leaf is lettuce. it ain't lettuce, boy. it isn't edible. you are going to get sick. give it back."

well... after researching the plant, i found out that this plant is commonly grown throughout india and east africa for the purpose of consumption. the leaves are edible and apparently tastes like spinach!

"............" <------- me.
my dog is smarter than me.

mishka, you win this time.

#treatyoself flowers
t gets back on monday from a work trip, so i'm taking advantage of the one person meal. you know me, too lazy to cook for myself.

i prepped a quick dinner for myself. honey goat cheese, multi grain crackers, and mortadella = LOVE. treat yo self!!!
i love cheese and charcuterie platters. if i had to choose just one dish to eat for the rest of my life, i would choose charcuterie platters. salami, prosciutto, pate, etc. they all make me happy.

i normally don't drink but sometimes once in a rare blue moon... i crave a sip of wine. i got a bottle of albero spanish rosé at trader joes. it's not bad. treat yo self!!!

#treatyoself yummy dinner
the awesome saturday fairies didn't stop there.
apparently they felt that my saturday wasn't awesome enough, so they surprised me even further. 

netflix has a comedy special- demetri martin live! i LOooooooooooOVE demetri martin. 

demetri martin does not know that i exist but four years ago, our paths almost ALMOST crossed. 
t and i were living in NYC and we were at union square. we went to barnes and nobles to meet up with t's friend. we all sat at the cafe, and i got up to go check out some calendars on the other side of the store. when i got back, t and his friend were soooo excited:

"OMG. WE JUST MET DEMETRI MARTIN. HE WAS SOOOO COOL."

you should have seen the look on my face:

.....WHAT?!?!?! WHERE? WHERE? WHERE IS HE?!

.....he just left.

t and his friend had an actual conversation with demetri martin.
that 30 sec conversation could have been between me and demetri martin. instead, i was on the other side of the store browsing through baby animal calendars. MAI! COME ON. ugh... yes i was very upset and disappointed that night. i blame the stupid baby animal calendars!!!!!

anyways, back to my saturday night. as i type this blog, i am laughing watching demetri martin's stand up. you should watch it. it is hilarious. it's on netflix as a new feature. some of demetri's awesome randomness:

"my friend has a beach body"
"....like a seal"

"i got a L shaped sofa"
"....a lower case L"

"one place i don't want to be chased at..... in kenya"

i'll end you with one of demetri martin's quotes, quite fitting for the moment: 

 "Whenever I'm on my computer, I don't type 'lol'. I type 'lqtm' - laugh quietly to myself. It's more honest"  


- demetri martin
lqtm. today was a great day. thank you, awesome saturday fairies.
-mai



No comments:

Post a Comment