Sunday, September 13, 2015

New York City, I love you.

homemade pasta with frutti di mare at serafina, midtown.
the empire dressed up for labor day.
i say tomatoes, you say BEAUTIFUL. farmer's market finds at union square.
my favorite type of places to eat- little eateries like caracas in alphabet city. venezuelan arepas and fresh jugo de melon were delicious
rockefeller looking majestic. 
beautiful wyeth. christina's world.
"If I were really really wealthy, I wouldn't buy a mansion, just tiny apartments in every city I love"

...and one of these cities would be NYC.

Oh New York City, I love you.

You are a very special place to me:

You are THE city that I always dream't about living in.
You are THE city, where I completed my graduate studies.
You are THE city, where T and my love story began. Four years later, we are getting married.
You are THE only city that I can say I really love.

I love everything about this city.

From the grimey subways to the occasional stomach ache from eating street food, to the obnoxious honking of the taxis to the overcrowded tourist areas. Nothing fails to destroy my admiration and love for you, NYC.

Of all my favorite things about this city, my favorite thing has to be the diversity that NYC prides it self in.

I love how I can feel so comfortable in my own skin in this city.
NYC is so diverse and full of interesting people.

No where in the world can you be on public transportation and hear five different languages being spoken simultaneously. In a subway car, I can be squashed next to a Russian, a German, a Chilean, a Chinese, a Iranian.... (you get the point), and I would not feel any awkwardness or feel like I stick out. No one glares at you if you are speaking a foreign language. Everyone just embraces it and it's normal. NYC is the ultimate melting pot.
NYC is beautiful to me because of this. It is just so real.

Last weekend I got to spend sometime back in this city I love.
T and I did an apartment swap with our dear friends in Brooklyn. We had a wonderful weekend there.

Every time I step foot into this city, I am immediately reminded that a part of my heart still belongs in NYC. T also agrees that we need to get back sometime soon.

One day, Mai. One day. I will be back, my love. I'll be back. NYC, I am not done with you.

glorious breakfast wrap at a local Brooklyn bodega. one of the must eats in NYC.
love the independent coffee shops scattered around NYC and its boroughs. one of my favorite things to do- sit by the window, sip on some caffeine, and people watch. humans of nyc, so fascinating.
I miss good ramen and I miss good Japanese food. NYC is full of wonderful ramen shops and Japanese restaurants.
Kyoto Ramen at Miso-Ya, East Village.
Though I dont miss walking up and down my unit, and doing laundry at the laundromat, I do miss the charm of NYC buildings.
once you try laduree macaroons, you cant eat any other macaroons. legit.
one of my favorite pieces at the MoMA. dance by matisse. 
motsu nabe at udon west, mid town. a nostalgic flavor. just like how my grandpa used to make it. brings back so many wonderful memories of him. i miss you, ojiichan.
the salty pimp (caramel vanilla icecream cone) was delicious. try out BGI in lower east side.
took a candid picture of this cute old couple in love. hope t and i can be as cool as these folks when we are older. 
basquiat admired by t. what a fascinating soul.

-mai

Mishka Commentary:
you know, I am from NYC too! i was adopted by mai and t in 2014. i used to live in the upper east side with my russian socialite owner but she didn't want me anymore so mai and t welcomed me home. it was love at first sight when i saw mai and t. though i miss my posh life in manhattan, i wouldnt trade my new wolf pack for anything else! 



1 comment:

  1. We were both in NYC over Labor Day Weekend! Yes, I love the city too... so jealous that you got to live there...My dream is to be a snowbird there for 6 months out of the year and live somewhere warm the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete